Looking Through the Viewfinder

Looking Through the Viewfinder
"I'm looking through the viewfinder...I see you in mine! Do you see me Ms Hartings?"

Friday, January 28, 2011

Cooperative Learning

Measuring the perimeter of our garden



Designing garden cinderblocks- creating our own raised garden beds


Painting a class mural based on three designs created by the students and inspired by "The Great Wave" by Katsushika Hokusai
As a teacher, I feel that most children learn best socially. Sure, some tasks call for the student to work independently with absolute concentration to every detail, but the experiences children have during their school years while working as a team to achieve a common goal are some of the most meaningful in my eyes. Most children seem to feel the same way as I watch and listen to them in action with a small group. The laughter, dialogue, excitement that is present most of the time is such a joy to watch. The times that are well...not so joyful, often turn out to be wonderful learning experiences and growth opportunities for the whole group. During these times of observation I often feel I am gathering the most information about the children's interests and their abilities. 

Cooperative learning opportunities pop up everywhere throughout the day. The way we enter into projects as a class; jotting down thoughts and ideas, creating a plan, and engaging in dialogue with each other regarding our ideas and learning goals is a model for the children. I believe the time we spend together as a whole group planning for these experience is extremely important because we are creating an example for the way we want children to interact with one another when they are on their own with peers.

I spend a lot of time every single day reflecting on dialogue we have during Morning Meetings and mini lessons throughout the day. I am very critical of myself when it comes to how much I interject and redirect conversation so that we can be most productive. This is a constant process for me, and although I feel I have grown tremendously when it comes to facilitating, I am a work in process. However, when I see children taking turns talking, being respectful and welcoming when others present new ideas, and sharing a huge piece of work among their group in a fair way so that all members of the group feel equally challenged and important, I am filled up to the brim with joy. This is by far the most important skill a child can learn throughout their school years- how to work together with their peers in a respectful way.
"Save the Earth" student led impromptu chant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment